Thursday, July 4, 2013

#1 7/4/13: Banff to Marble Canyon - 34.1 miles

I sleep terribly at the Y.  I'm exhausted and I haven't even pedaled a stroke!  Way too much fiddling with equipment, getting it all in these friggin' Relevate bags, it's driving me nuts. At last minute, I had to flip the stem up to give enough clearance for Sweet Roll. I did a mail drop but it's still too much stuff.

Breakfast with us four at Tooloulou's and we're off west along the Bow Valley Pkwy.   Scenery is spectacular with glaciers on mountain top, fir and aspen, white puffy clouds and trickling brooks.  Lots of wildlife:  wolf, osprey and chicks on bridge.  Oh so nice!




We turn south on Route 93 at Castle Mountain and cross our first Divide Crossing.  Although I am disappointed we didn't get to do the Canadian Section of the GDMBR because of the flooding, I am very happy with this asphalt alternative.  It's beautiful!




We arrive at Marble Canyon Provincial Park around 2pm and vote we stop as I am very travel weary.  We set up in a nice covered pavilion with tables & plumbed water.  Then spot wild hares and moose skat.

The guys go for a hike down the Canyon.  I just need some quiet time so I just wonder the campground and meet Mike who's cycling solo from Fairbanks to Grand Canyon and Sally with her dog, Aura, from Montana.  Mike is wearing "Meals on Wheels" T-shirt with bear chasing a cyclist.  Yikes!

After dinner, I go for a walk and spy a black bear who's just cruisin' down the river and oblivious to me.  Wow!  My first bear!





No comments:

Post a Comment