Wednesday, July 3, 2013

7/2-3/13 Kailua-Kona to LAX to Calgary


My super-cheap, red-eye, one-way $240 and 9 hr flight (Expedia: United & Air Canada) from Kailua-Kona to LAX to Calgary is smooth except for the transfer to Air Canada which is tense because of poor communication.  United charges me $125 for XS bike frame box and separate wheel box with all my gear loaded inside.  Unfortunately, I didn't sleep a wink!

The view down from plane to Rockies, where I'll be riding, looks very intimidating as it's still covered in snow!  Yikes! 


The Calgary stampede is about to go off but unfortunately it has to be scaled back due to flooding.  




The shuttle ride to from the Calgary Airport to Banff via Banff Airporter ($60)  is extremely smooth but it reveals lots of flood damage especially in Cranmore.

Banff is beautiful!  Wish I had scheduled a day to explore Banff but I'm more time to explore but schedule off to the Kootenays tomorrow.  The van takes me directly to Banff YWCA ($37) where I meet the 4 cyclists I'd communicated with via Adventure Cycling Association.  I immediately launch into building up my bike. All goes really well.  Just a little struggle with my low volume pump and my tubeless tires which have to be seated but I get it.


I run around town looking for bear spray ($42) and then denatured alcohol for stove.  Multiple trips to Standish Hardware reveal Canadians call it methyl hydrate.  Phew!  I really worried I wouldn't find fuel for my ultralite soda can stove!

Then dinner at Banff Brew Pub w fellow cyclists Leslie, Jamie, Roger & John.  Back to the Y to shuffle thru my gear and meet roommate Anna who is just starting her career as a pastry chef and the Banff Hotel. Her photo portfolio was gorgeous. But other roommates are horrible.  Didn't get to bed until 11pm. Took a sleeping pill at 1am.







1 comment:

  1. Roberta,
    I sure enjoyed sharing a Saturday night supper with you at the La Garita Trading Post. After reading more about you on this blog, I realize we are the same age with some of the same physical ailments. You have given me a lot of inspiration! Enjoy the rest of your ride.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete